Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact to bring you seven of our top stories…
- For the first time, surgeons have successfully transplanted a pig kidney into a human, without triggering immediate rejection by the recipient’s immune system.
- Moscow’s metro system has launched a new biometric facial recognition payment system, ‘FacePay’, at over 240 train stations over the past week.
- Researchers from the University of Cambridge have grown mini brains in the lab out of cells taken from dementia and motor neurone patients, opening the door for new treatments.
- Two architecture studios have designed a low-carbon cross-laminated timber building called Living Landscape that will transform a landfill site in Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Researchers at Stanford University have developed a robotic ‘smart’ cane that uses an ultrasound detection system to help alert people with visual impairments of potential hazards.
- A British tech firm has created the first wave or solar-powered ‘digital reef’ which draws on a combination of metal frames and bespoke technology to protect coastlines from erosion and rising sea levels.
- Facebook has launched a pilot of its digital currency wallet, ‘Novi’, in the US and Guatemala. The wallet will allow users to send and receive money abroad instantly, securely, and without fees.
Share This Story
Latest From Seven
Why storytelling will remain a – uniquely – human skill
Earwigging on the tube recently, I overheard a conversation between two friends. The first ...
Could crypto-mining spell the end for mudlarking?
If, like me, you enjoy a bit of history, you may be familiar with ...
Seven from Seven: Turning Ocean Vapour Into Drinking Water, And Batteries Made From Trees
Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact ...