Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact to bring you seven of our top stories…
- Westminster Council revealed plans to create a ‘pedestrian plaza’ in Oxford Circus. The 150-metre section of Oxford Street is expected to be closed to vehicles by the end of the year.
- Rolls Royce is trying to break the 300mph speed record for an electrically powered aircraft. It has invested £80 million in energy storage technology which will help to power both fully electric and hybrid aircraft designs.
- The 1,000th captive-bred dormouse has been released into the wild in a UK-wide reintroduction scheme. Once widespread, dormice have now disappeared from 17 English counties.
- A testing centre for sustainable rockets has opened in Buckinghamshire. The centre will work on testing more environmentally friendly propellants, including hydrogen peroxide and liquid oxygen.
- Scientists have found a new class of drug that kills tumour cells and leaves healthy ones unharmed. The drug is for use on people that carry a mutation in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes (around one in 200), which raises the risk of breast, ovarian, prostate and pancreatic cancer.
- HSBC UK has partnered with Stonewall Housing as part of its no fixed address service, which enables people to open a basic bank account. The partnership will support LGBTQ+ people experiencing homelessness issues to access basic banking.
- A number of tech firms are exploring how the application of autonomous remote monitoring and AI analytics can create a healthier, more productive bee population.
Share This Story
Latest From Seven
Why storytelling will remain a – uniquely – human skill
Earwigging on the tube recently, I overheard a conversation between two friends. The first ...
Could crypto-mining spell the end for mudlarking?
If, like me, you enjoy a bit of history, you may be familiar with ...
Seven from Seven: Turning Ocean Vapour Into Drinking Water, And Batteries Made From Trees
Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact ...