Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact to bring you seven of our top stories…
- Researchers at the University of California have created dog-like robots to safely guide people who are blind, that, unlike real guide dogs, do not need to undergo expensive training, and are able to use GPS to navigate from one place to another.
- Raconteur presents an infographic exploring the ways in which artificial intelligence (AI) has infiltrated our everyday lives, from Netflix recommendations to spell check.
- A university student built and installed a bin bag dispenser in a park in Leeds where crowds had left stacks of litter amid the warm weather.
- An exclusive YouGov survey for Sky News found that 23% of Britons are unwilling to change key habits that would help address climate change, from increasing the price of heating to never driving a petrol or diesel car again.
- Electric car brand Polestar has announced its goal to eliminate all carbon emissions from its production process to create a climate-neutral car by 2030, alongside plans to introduce sustainability labelling for upcoming models.
- John Thornhill explores five ways to resist the hierarchies and human biases that warp artificial intelligence, from encouraging more under-represented groups to work in the tech industry, to subjecting data sets and algorithms to independent scrutiny.
- Evidence suggests that a tiny subatomic particle – the muon – seems to be disobeying the known laws of physics, as it did not behave as predicted when shot through an intense magnetic field.
Share This Story
Latest From Seven
Why storytelling will remain a – uniquely – human skill
Earwigging on the tube recently, I overheard a conversation between two friends. The first ...
Could crypto-mining spell the end for mudlarking?
If, like me, you enjoy a bit of history, you may be familiar with ...
Seven from Seven: Turning Ocean Vapour Into Drinking Water, And Batteries Made From Trees
Each week, we scour the worlds of innovation, tech for good and social impact ...